Sometimes the best public relations tool is right under your nose…
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: public relations doesn’t need to be complicated. Sure, there is a honed art to getting media coverage for your brand which takes a lot of time and energy, but PR is so much broader than earned media these days that it’s okay (and encouraged) to consider other ways you can launch a successful and tactical PR campaign. From utilizing influencers to writing opinion pieces, there are a number of ways to get noticed and build awareness for your brand–but one often overlooked tool that allows you to own the narrative and increase awareness of your product or service is the most obvious one…
We know, we know, e-newsletters have been around since the world wide web basically started but before you pass judgement, hear us out on *why*.
The Top 5 Reasons Your E-Newsletter Is a Valuable PR Tool
- You don’t have to rely on earned media: In a world where it’s increasingly challenging to get earned media within a constant news cycle, a top-tier news story should never be expected. It takes an immense amount of planning, resources, and time to get good, earned media coverage (think everything from developing the pitch, media training, reporter buy-in, b-roll pull, photo finding, spokesperson identification, and more). So instead of relying on the airwaves to pick up your news and share it with the masses, tell the story yourself. This is especially effective if you already have a really strong e-mail list developed because you’re essentially telling your masses with very little leg work. Fancy that!
- You own the narrative start to finish: The tricky thing about earned media, and traditional public relations in general, is that once it’s out of your hands, it’s really out of your hands. Reporters will rely on you as the storyteller and fact provider, but ultimately, what they say and do on air or in print is up to them. With your e-newsletter, what you share is up to you, and that’s not something to be scoffed at. Own your narrative and tell your story in the way that it’s meant to be told through your e-newsletter platform.
- Your subscribers expect (and want) updates from you: When someone signs up to receive updates from you, they do that for a number of reasons. The main one is that they want to hear from you! By connecting with them via your e-newsletter, you’re keeping them up to date on all things your brand has to offer and important information they need to know to stay engaged with you. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to share your news with them in a personalized and meaningful way.
- You can measure engagement: Unlike traditional PR where you can only sometimes equate awareness and sales to a media placement, one of the best, and most tangible, facts of an e-newsletter is that you can measure your engagement in real time. Whether it’s opens, clicks, unsubscribes, or even UTM code tracking at the most granular level, you can literally track everything that lives within the confines of your email campaign – and for marketers, that’s exciting.
- It’s free of charge: Last but not least, the cost of an e-newsletter is minor and, therefore, it’s a waste to not take advantage of it. Traditional PR tactics have low overhead in the grand scheme of marketing, but when you think of the time spent developing materials and pitching, the free product or services given out to demonstrate your company value, or sometimes the actual money spent for influencer posts or product placements, the dollars start to add up a bit. Utilize your e-newsletter as a vital and valuable part of your PR toolbox to better tell your story to your audience.
All and all, your company’s PR strategy should always be a living, breathing thing – but don’t forget that some of your best assets are something right in front of you. Curious about how you can refresh your PR strategy in 2021? Get in touch.
Ethos is a multiplatform branding agency that develops and executes integrated marketing campaigns across multiple channels for companies throughout the Northeast and beyond.
At Ethos, we believe that the most effective way to set a company’s marketing course is by finding its core truth – it’s ethos. We know that once we discover and communicate that core truth, we can truly make a difference to each client’s unique marketing and business objectives.
With Ethos, you get more than a Maine branding agency. You get a long-term partner whose goals are your goals.